The perioperative nurse externship program is geared toward nursing students who will be entering the final year nursing school. Bachelor of Science in Nursing candidates are preferred. This would be a paid, 10-week program with eight to ten students. Students will be managed by perioperative educators with input from the surgical management team, clinical coordinators and selected staff preceptors.
Once you have been offered and accept a position into the Perioperative Externship Program, you will receive the following:
- A two week didactic (classroom-based) introduction to perioperative nursing using an evidence-based core curriculum program
- Eight weeks of hands-on learning in the operating room.
At the conclusion of the externship, you may be offered the opportunity for employment as a PCA in the operating room during your final year of nurses training. Ultimately, you would be considered for perioperative nursing positions upon graduation. Upon employment as a nurse, you must be willing to sign a 1-year work agreement.
- You must be entering your senior year with a minimum overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale with the ability to commit to 40 hours of training each week during the summer externship.
- You must complete and submit the on-line application with a professional resume (reference “Apply now” section).
- You must have the ability to commit to 40 hours of training each week during the externship.