The Christ Hospital is recognized for excellent treatment of aortic aneurysms– a major cause of death and disability in the United States. Our surveillance program offers careful monitoring in order to provide the most effective, customized treatment to patients with abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA), thoracic aortic aneurysms or dissections.
Our aortic aneurysm experts are skilled in identifying risks, common complications and aneurysm growth expectations. The multidisciplinary team includes cardiothoracic and vascular surgeons, interventional cardiologists and nurse practitioners working together to evaluate the best treatment for each patient. Depending on the size and rate at which the abdominal aortic aneurysm is growing, treatment may vary from watchful waiting to surgery.
Who can benefit from this program?
- Anyone who has been diagnosed with or treated for an aortic aneurysm or dissection.
- Ongoing monitoring reduces the risk of rupture. Approximately 15,000 deaths occur each year in the United States due to AAA, usually because of rupture.
- Comprehensive approach includes new treatments unavailable elsewhere in the region.
- Testing to identify genetic mutations associated with aneurysm development. Results help determine the best treatment and if additional family members may be at risk.
- Aggressive medical management including assistance with smoking cessation.
- Results and updates will be communicated to your primary care physician to ensure a continuity of care.
Treatments plans may include:
It is estimated that more than one million people are living with undiagnosed AAA's and at least 95 percent of these can be successfully treated if detected prior to rupture. The condition can be permanently cured when diagnosed early. To learn about the risk factors and our $29 heart & vascular screening to detect AAA's, click here.
For more information or to schedule an appointment with an aortic aneurysm expert, call 1-866-661-VASC (8272).