For more than 130 years, The Christ Hospital has been dedicated to providing the best, most compassionate care for our community. By continually reimagining what healthcare can be, we have become more than just a hospital. Today, we are an extensive network of 6,500 employees, 1,200 physicians and 600 volunteers, serving patients in more than 100 locations throughout Greater Cincinnati.
The Christ Hospital Health Network includes our main hospital campus in Mt. Auburn and The Christ Hospital Medical Center in Liberty Township, as well as centers and physician practices across the Tristate – all focused on providing the highest quality care in a convenient and affordable way.
Together we are healing, comforting and caring for patients and their family members. We are driving innovative research, giving patients new hope. With innovation, creativity and technical expertise, we are making sure that The Christ Hospital remains at the forefront of medical advances across the Tristate, the nation and the world for years to come.
Be a national leader in clinical excellence, patient experience and affordable care.
Improve the health of our community and create patient value by providing exceptional outcomes and the finest experiences, all in an affordable way.
Awards and Recognition
Our commitment to excellent outcomes, affordable care and the patient experience garners awards from leading healthcare organizations and publications.
- Ranked the #1 hospital in the region and #5 in the State of Ohio by U.S. News & World Report. We've made that list for 19 consecutive years.
- Named "Most Preferred Hospital" by the Greater Cincinnati community for 21 consecutive years (National Research Corporation).
- Magnet recognized for providing the highest-quality patient care, nursing excellence and innovations in professional nursing practice.
Check out more awards and recognition for The Christ Hospital Health Network.
The Christ Hospital Heritage
130+ Years as Cincinnati's Healthcare Leader
In 1888, people in Cincinnati faced widespread unemployment, poverty and hunger. Determined to make a difference, a group of local citizens banded together. Led by James Gamble—whose prospering soap business eventually became the Procter & Gamble company—the group invited Isabella Thoburn, a teacher, nurse and missionary, to come to Cincinnati. The goal was for Thoburn to train deaconesses and missionaries to carry on religious, educational and philanthropic work that would transform lives and renew our city.
Thoburn knew that this transformation could not happen unless the poor received high-quality healthcare. She shared her vision with city leaders, and in 1889 they gave their full support. James Gamble donated a private house in the city's West End, which Thoburn converted to become a 10-bed hospital named Christ's Hospital. Four years later it was bursting at the seams, so leaders moved it to the current site in Mount Auburn. In 1902 they added a nursing school, and in 1904 the hospital was renamed The Christ Hospital.
Through the years, The Christ Hospital has led the way in caring for our community's healthcare needs, with a number of historic firsts:
- First hospital to allow a female physician to treat patients (1902)
- First to use a mechanical kidney device, a forerunner of a dialysis machine (1951)
- First intensive care unit in Cincinnati (1962)
- First to use a hyperbaric oxygen chamber for wound healing in Ohio Valley (1971)
- National pioneers in the use of coronary balloon angioplasty to clear blocked arteries without surgery (1980)
- First ceramic hip replacement in the United States (1982)
- First in Cincinnati to implant an automatic cardioverter defibrillator (1987)
- First in Cincinnati to implant a pacemaker that is compatible with magnetic resonance imaging (2008)
- First in Greater Cincinnati to perform heart valve replacement without open heart surgery (2011)
Our commitment to serving this community remains as strong as ever. Leaders at The Christ Hospital Health Network are looking ahead to the next 130 years, with a goal of continually redefining what it means to be the best. We are challenging the boundaries of what a hospital, a health network and doctors can do. We are bringing care closer to our patients, in physician practices and outpatient centers all across the region. We are making care easier to navigate, more patient-centered and more affordable. We are making healthcare what our patients want and need it to be. Thank you for being part of this journey with us.