As you age, the walls of the vagina and vulva may become thinner and dryer due to a decrease in estrogen. The condition, called vaginal and vulvar atrophy, affects almost half of women after menopause. Symptoms include vaginal dryness, painful intercourse, burning and pain with urination and more frequent urinary tract infections.
In the past, hormone therapy was used to help treat this common condition. However, many women, such as those who are breast cancer survivors, cannot take hormones, while other women may not find relief from their symptoms using hormone therapy, or are not comfortable taking continuous hormones for prolonged periods of time. Now, the MonaLisa Touch™, a new laser therapy, offers you relief from symptoms caused by vaginal and vulvar atrophy. We were the first hospital in the United States to acquire this technology which uses a minimally invasive approach to help improve the health and pliability of your vagina.
Here are five reasons why you should consider MonaLisa Touch™ for your vaginal and vulvar atrophy:
- It is a minimally invasive treatment option. MonaLisa Touch™ works by using a CO2 fractional laser that was specially designed for the thin and sensitive vaginal wall. During treatment, laser energy penetrates deep into the layers of the vaginal wall to stimulate collagen and return the vaginal tissue back to a more youthful and pliable state. This minimally invasive treatment can be completed in only five minutes right in your doctor’s office, with minimal to no pain.
- Fast symptom relief. Multiple studies from Europe, as well as one performed at The Christ Hospital (in conjunction with Stanford University) have shown a significant improvement in symptoms after treatment with MonaLisa Touch™. In fact, very commonly symptoms improved as early as a few weeks after the first treatment.
- A limited number of treatments needed. MonaLisa Touch™ eliminates the need for daily hormone replacement and offers significant or complete relief of symptoms. Three treatments, completed six weeks apart, are all that is needed for up to one year of relief.
- No anesthesia needed. The simple procedure can be done right in your doctor’s office and requires no anesthesia. Most patients report minimal to no discomfort and no post treatment pain medication is required. You can get back to your full activity level within 24 to 48 hours following treatment.
- No side effects. Even though this therapy is relatively new to the United States, patients in Europe have experienced no long-term side effects. Also to date, no patients treated at The Christ Hospital have reported any serious side effects or adverse events.
Learn more about urogynecology and pelvic floor medicine at The Christ Hospital. Or call 513-463-2500 for more information about MonaLisa Touch™ treatment for vaginal and vulvar atrophy.